For Sheri’s kid. The pattern comes in a 2/3 or a 4/5. Kelly’s more of a 3/4 and so is Campbell. You can see where this is going, right?
If you want to make your own, you will need:
- Fabric scraps, I used 2 different coordinating prints
- Wonder Under
- Flower template of your choice, I used the small one found here
- Button for center, I used fabric covered ones
- Needle and thread
I cut 2 3″ X 6″ rectangles of each fabric and 2 3″ X 6″ rectangles of Wonder Under.
Put the wrong sides together and iron again.
You should have 4 flowers, 2 of each fabric.
Stack your flowers, alternating fabrics.
I take a stitch or two through the 4 layers of flowers before attaching the button, just to make sure stuff doesn’t shift around. Then, sew on the button. Tie it off on the back. I like to wad up my flower a bit aftewards so it has some dimension. Attach the flower to a clip or pin or whatever. This one found a home on a purse I made a while ago.
(Don’t look too closely…there’s a little blood on that button in the center.)
I used this ebook from YouCanMakeThis. Fabric is Heather Bailey Pop Garden and Bijoux and Amy Butler Lotus. The pattern was SUPER easy and fast- 2 pattern pieces and everything else is rectangles. As long as you can gather, you can make this dress. And yes, I know my kid is a dork. I made the size 8/10. There’s plenty of room (see last pic). I would for sure recommend this ebook. I like that it can be a shirt or a dress and that it comes in sizes 1-10.
You know…in case any of you ever get crazy enough to want to make these same costumes.
Macy’s “cute” vampire:
- Black shirt and leggings she already owned
- Sparkly red shoes – reused from last year’s Dorothy costume, originally purchased at Target.
- Tutu – used this tutorial
- Cape from Simplicity # 5927 – The pattern called for 13.25 yards of trim. There were also supposed to be horizontal lines of sequins and some on the collar, but there was no way that was happening with the 13.25 yards. FabriTac worked way better than the hot glue gun for attaching the sequins.
- Long black wig – found at the grocery store
- Creepy make up from a kit and cheap vampire teeth
Keller and Campbell’s Mario Brothers:
- Overalls from McCall’s #4644 – I lengthened the back straps and squared off the front bib part. I also added facings (the pattern is made for fleece) and the chest pocket.
- White magic stretch gloves – I bought mine on Amazon.
- Long sleeve tees in bright red and green – I bought mine from www.cheapestees.com
- Baseball caps from Oriental Trading – I had to buy a dozen. If anyone needs a freaking ugly hat in red, green, yellow, orange, black or blue…let me know! I free handed the M and L circle logos and then used Wonder Under to make them. I used FabriTac to glue them to the hats.
- Mustaches – also from Oriental Trading
- Wigs – found at Dollar Tree, they were originally red and yellow striped. I spray painted them black.
- Toad hat – modified from this idea in Family Fun. It’s basically a sombrero and bubble wrap. I glued on the red circles with more of the FabriTac. That stuff got a work out this year.
- Vest – made from red felt with yellow felt trim. I looked at a pirate vest from several years ago and figured out how to shape the pieces from that. It took 3 tries, but felt is cheap and wide, so I had plenty.
- Pants – white knit. I traced a pair he already owned and made them puffier and put elastic at the bottom.
- Shirt – I used a long sleeved onesie I already had and dyed it. I used Rit Liquid in tan and just dipped it ’til it looked to be a good skin color.
- Brown shoes – we already owned, but they’re Pedipeds if you think you need some.