Flat Iron Travel Pouch Tutorial

In case you missed my post for Christmas in July over on It’s A Good Day

I’ve got a gift idea for you: a flat iron travel case. This would be the perfect handmade gift for your everyone from your teenaged niece to your BFF….anyone with a flat iron, really. Before we get started, let’s take a moment in honor of flat irons. Seriously. My halfro (totally not curly on the top) and I salute you!

DSC_0116

Supplies:
Fabric
Cotton batting or Insul-Bright (I really wanted to use the Insul-Bright, but I had to order it and it didn’t show up in time. The good news for you is that you have 5 months ‘til Christmas and PLENTY of time to track down your own!)
1.5” of Velcro
Double fold bias tape ~ 50” (I made my own)

Cut 2 of each from fabric and one of each from batting:

6” X 11”
10” X 12”

Sandwich your batting between the same sized pieces of fabric, right sides facing out, like this:

DSC_0085-1

Take the smaller piece and position the soft loopy side of your Velcro so that the center is 6” from the right end. The Velcro will NOT be centered. Make sure it’s up slightly higher than the width of your bias tape.

DSC_0089-1

Stitch in place.

Position the hard pokey side of your Velcro so that it’s centered 6” from the right end as well. This piece of Velcro WILL be centered. Again, make sure that it’s up slightly higher than the width of your bias tape.

DSC_0093-1

Stitch in place.

Sew a piece of bias tape on the right hand side (short end) of your smaller piece.

DSC_0091-1

DSC_0092-1

Hook your Velcro together.

DSC_0102-1

DSC_0101-1

You’re going to sew 1/4” from the left hand side of the top (smaller) piece.

DSC_0097-1

Undo the Velcro and fold the flap to the other side, lining up the edges.

DSC_0103-1

You may want to use a couple of pins to keep it in place.

The next step is rounding the corners. I used a glass and traced the curve…

DSC_0105-1

and then trimmed the corners with scissors.

DSC_0106-1

Sew bias tape around the perimeter.

DSC_0107-1

And you’re ready to put your flat iron inside,

DSC_0108-1

wrap the cord around,

DSC_0109-1

fasten the Velcro,

DSC_0110-1

and go!

DSC_0114-1

Even if you’re not going anywhere, the other stuff in your drawer will be safe from burns and melting. Not that I’d know anything about that. Because I’ve sure never melted a hole in the side of a hairspray bottle.

Comments

1. The Cottage Mama says:

Ok, Char, are you brilliant or what?! What a great idea and so perfect for gifts!! I'm about to make a "ruffle camera strap" similar to yours too – I will be linking over once I get it complete.

Thanks so much for your useful, creative ideas! You go girl!!

Lindsay

2. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

So very cute!!

3. I am so doing this! Probably one for myself and every other woman I am gifting to this year. Amazing!

4. Mormishmom says:

This is some fantastic crap :)

5. The Fear Fam says:

How did you know that I never know what to get my hairdresser-sister for Christmas?!? Hooray! Thank you for the tutorial.

6. Alysha (Supermom) says:

What a great tutorial… Such a great gift idea :) Thanks!!!

7. Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun says:

oh! I need one…but that is not the reason I'm here! I gave you an award at my blog.

kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

8. Love this! I need to find some cool fabric. Can't WAIT for the laptop sleeve too.

snuzalsews.blogspot.com

9. Great idea!

10. ificould says:

I need this! SO clever, I'm featuring this tutorial on Monday! Thanks for sharing!

11. Josh and Leslie says:

Hey there…new to the world of sewing and was wondering if you wash your fabric before using it? Also…any typical fabric you prefer or brands/websites you would suggest??

Thanks so much…

12. I just wanted to say that I have the same flat iron as you, and I bought it because you recommended it to me on BBC. My frizz-ball hair thanks you.

13. Porche' says:

Awesome idea! This is definitely on my Christmas sewing list. Thanks!

14. [email protected] says:

Ooh that's genius! I carry my Chi around in a big plastic bin and I'm still paranoid about it. This is such a great idea! Thanks so much fr this, I'll be linking.

15. Thanks for doing my thinking for me! I've been wanting to do something like this forever. Much cuter than wrapping it in a ratty towel.

16. tammiemarie says:

well, this is a few months too late. thanks a lot. ha! my cat knocked my chi iron off the shelf and broke it. and i've had a halfro ever since.

17. [email protected] says:

Awesome tutorial! I need one of these! Totally going to make one. Thanks for sharing.

18. gnee @ Singing With Birds says:

Hi Char,

Congratulations, your travel pouch made this week's Top 5 His at Singing With Birds. Come check it out, grab a blog button and have a great weekend. I wish you see the ancient one I've been using. I am so making several soon!

19. kelegirl6 says:

I'm a new sewer and 1) I'm having issues with stitching the bias tape straight; 2) My machine won't stitch through all those layers, what do I need to adjust for this??? 3) I need to work on my cutting. Things were crooked so they were trimmed down and now the flap won't fold completely over when its finished, but the next one I make I'll hopefully improve!!

PS: If you have any tips on my 2 novice problems, I'd love to here them!!

And I found InsulBright at Walmart!

20. I love this idea and could really use one myself! I had to share it – I featured you here.

21. Char @ Crap I've Made says:

kele,

There's a bit of a learning curve with bias tape. I don't have any real suggestions other than to practice and go slowly. And if you're using store bought bias tape, make sure the short side is on top, that way you're guaranteed to hit the bottom piece.

And I can't go to WalMart (makes me curse like a sailor), but good to know that they have it!

22. curlyQdesign says:

Just found this tutorial linked through Sew Mana Sew. Perfect gift idea for my sister in law!

Thanks!!

23. Kelly Irene says:

This is wonderful! I also have a sister in law who would love this :)

24. I made this for my sister-in-law for Christmas and she loved it. Thank you for sharing this!

25. HarmlessColor says:

Thank you for posting this tutorial! It was just what I needed as a Christmas gift for my stylish sister. I put up pictures of the pair I made with my other handmade Christmas gifts from 2010. Have a look!

26. Dominique @ Craft Couture says:

Awesome tutorial! Thank you, I'm deff making one because I've been looking in the stores for on e& can never find one I like. Now thanks to you I can make one just how I want it! I'm deff. I new follower :)

dominiquescraftcouture.blogspot.com

27. This is great stuff! I really like this tutorial. Great photos, great directions, great job!

nnvillan.blogspot.com

28. I'm not great at math, How much yardage do I need to purchase? lol
    Thanks, I can't wait to make it!

29. @Bflymommy – I added it up and found out for you (also me BC i have fabric and I wanna do this, but make it oversized). Using 45/46 in width fabric, get at least 1/2 yard of one fabric and 1/4 yard batting. If you want different lining fabric (like me), getting 1/2 yard batting, 1/2 yard lining, and 1/2 yard outside fabric will make TWO travel pouches (and then this means you have a present for your best friend's birthday). And just so you know, it would be only 12" length and 36" width total for ONE pouch.

30. BTW, the website for the insul bright said that there wasn't any distributors for 100 miles around me and I found some at my walmart, also – 15 miles away. It's sold on bolts there near the fusible interfacing and mine was $6.97/yard. It looks like regular batting except that there is a metallic strip running the full length between a sandwich of batting.

31. Congratulations your blog is very cool, I loved it, I was a fan. see mine too, good weekend

32. I just did this tutorial, it was awesome! Thank you for posting this!

33. Thanks so much! Was looking for a pattern for a carrying case for my flatiron. Couldn’t see paying the prices they charge for those little cases when I am a sewer myself. My daughters and grandaughters will also love it.

34. LOVE this tutorial! Made one yesterday, and I have to say I am in love with it! Thanks so much!!

35. Love Love Love this tutorial!!!!! I have made 2 so far (none for myself unfortunately….I’m waiting until I get really good at it before I make my own…hehe!) and am so happy you taught us how to make this fabulous flat iron pouch! I still have trouble on the corners with the bias tape….but getting better! If anyone has tricks to corners…..those of us who are less fortunate in mastering this task would love to know! =)

Thank you so much for taking the time to teach us!

36. This connectivity will allow you to easily transfer photos on to your
    laptop for storage. George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and
    Film is the world’s oldest museum dedicated to still and moving images. Macro is for getting those awesome close-up shots that are often seen on sites like Flickr.

37. I really like what you guys tend to be up too. Such
    clever work and coverage! Keep up the excellent works
    guys I’ve added you guys to my own blogroll.

38. Hi, all the time i used to check web site posts here early in the daylight,
    because i like to learn more and more.

39. Actually when someone doesn’t be aware of afterward its up to other users that they will help, so here it happens.

40. Excellent, what a blog it is! This blog provides useful facts to us, keep it up.

41. Break your 3 normal main meals into 5 smaller portion sizes – morning,
    snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Avocados- Although not my favorite, are high in fats, the good ones.
    Now, the average healthy amount people are supposed to lose is
    2 pounds per week.

42. And, though words might not flood, torrents certainly do.
    org (a few of my favorites), and several, many more. However, you may still
    find so many people on the market that will say they
    don’t know if they should be using VPN or not given that they don’t
    know much about this but you really should know that if you are using the web,
    that is going to be one of many most safest forms to connect to
    the web and really the only way you can connect safely.

43. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.

Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

44. It does not cease there you have to hold all your crucial micro
    molecules and macro molecule levels ordinary or you’ll not get the best final results you are able to.
    It is mostly to make confident that that one’s body is properly and actually in an anabolic muscle-building situation as quickly as a single will
    take it. The major positive point of this product, it is based on natural
    substance thus it may not deliver you any kind of side effects.

45. You ought to take part in a contest for one of the greatest sites on the net.

I am going to highly recommend this website!

46. Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post
    or vice-versa? My website addresses a lot of the same topics as yours
    and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you happen to be interested feel free to send me
    an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful
    blog by the way!

47. Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue with your web site in internet explorer, would check this?
    IE still is the market chief and a good section of
    other people will miss your excellent writing because of
    this problem.

48. Hi friends, how is all, and what you want to say
    concerning this post, in my view its in fact remarkable for me.

49. You made some really good points there. I looked on the web for more information
    about the issue and found most people will go along with
    your views on this website.

50. For example, Evolv shakes have more sugar than Visalus shakes, but Visalus
    uses artificial sweeteners while Evolv and others sweeten
    their shakes naturally. Usana Sense: This is actually the personal care selection of Usana items.

Can you indeed relinquish your day profession and make
    a fortune off this business.

51. I love this but I am having trouble. On the smaller piece I positioned my velcro so that the center is 6″ from the right hand side. The next step says to put the bias tape on the right hand side of the fabric but you show it being on the left hand side. What am I not understanding? I plan to make these for my daughters and nieces for Christmas. Thanks

52. Tremendous issues here. I’m very happy to
    look your post. Thank you a lot and I’m looking ahead to touch you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

53. I am not sure the place you’re getting your information, however good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or figuring out more.
    Thank you for excellent information I was searching for this information for my mission.

54. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed
    in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

55. I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am now not certain whether this submit is written through him
    as no one else recognise such specified about my trouble.
    You’re incredible! Thanks!

56. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem
    to be running off the screen in Ie. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post
    to let you know. The design look great though! Hope you get the issue fixed soon.
    Cheers

Trackbacks

1. [...] but I cannot stand the cords being all tangled. So this was my goal for today. I used this tutorial, which turned out amazing. I did not have to make any changes to the directions this time to make [...]

2. [...] a flat iron travel pouch to carry a small iron to keep your clothes looking freshly [...]

3. [...] The Home Ec Teacher's DaughterLuggage Tags by I Have A NotionFabric Luggage Tags by Skip to my LouFlat Iron Travel Pouch by Crap I've MadeCurling Iron/Flat Iron Case by Sew4HomeGarment Bags by Sew4HomeID Bracelets by [...]

4. [...] Flat Iron Travel Pouch by Crap I've Made [...]

5. […]  I love this fabric I got from Lucky Kaeru Fabric on Etsy.  Isn’t it super cute!  I used this tutorial.   I found that it was easier for me to sew this by cutting the Insul-Bright a 1/2 inch smaller on […]