The comments seemed to indicate that this dress was indeed tute worthy. I’m breaking it up in parts.
Option #1: Buy a t-shirt or use one you already have. That’d be the easy way to do it. And you can skip ahead to Part 2.
Option #2: Make the top, which is what I did.
I had Macy get a shirt from her closet. I folded it in half and placed it on the fold of some knit yardage (this color came from Hobby Lobby). There are actually 2 folds it’s placed on (one for the front and one for the back) but it’s hard to see that in the picture.
I traced, including 1/2” for seam allowances.
I also screwed up a little, see? Good thing I used a disappearing ink marker!
Cut both pieces out. Decide which one you want to be the front and cut a lower neckline.
Trace and cut sleeves (again on a fold and including seam allowances):
Sew ONE shoulder seam. Use a serger or a zig zag or stretch stitch (looks like a lightning bolt) for all of your sewing with knits.
(Several pictures are missing here….I WILL get them up, it just might be after I get back from girls camp.)
Next I cut several 1” strips. I folded them in half lengthwise and used them for the neck and sleeve trim…NOT the ruffle-y gathered stuff, just the normal trim you’d see on a t-shirt. This ended up being covered completely by the ruffles, but it gives your shirt a more finished look.
Attach the strips to the neckline and bottom of both sleeve pieces using 1/4” seams. Press up and top stitch.
Now you’ll sew your other shoulder seam.
Sew on the sleeve pieces.
Sew the side seams, from the sleeve cuffs to the bottom of the shirt.
For the ruffles, I cut 3/4” strips of knit. I didn’t pre-gather or anything, I just wadded it up every few inches and then sewed over it and repeated the process around the neckline and the bottom of the sleeves.
And that’s it for the top!