This month’s Lowe’s challenge is a room makeover. In the interest of keeping posts a manageable length, I’ll be breaking it up.
I’ve been meaning to get to Macy’s room since, oh, this post. Let me refresh your memory with where we’re headed:
Let me also show you where we started:
Macy would like the record to show that the American Girl dolls had been moved to a bin in the garage. She’s practically 12 now. Geez.
As you can see at the top of the picture on the left, we already had some decorative molding about 6 feet up on the walls. We’d also put up some flower wall decals above the molding. They took massive amounts of the wall down with them.
After some massive spackling and sanding, it was time to paint.
The bottom portion of the walls is a semi-gloss paint that I had Lowe’s tint to match the trim in my house.
The top is a Valspar color called Icy Mint.
I picked up 2 gallons of the white, but I probably could have gotten by with one. 1 gallon of the Icy Mint was enough for the top portion of the walls and the entire ceiling (which was previously builder beige).
I looked at the selection of moldings and trims at Lowe’s, but they were all in the $3-6 per piece range. I knew I needed at least 30, maybe more (depending on spacing) and that was going to eat up my budget FAST. So, I needed another option. I channeled my pal Mandi and decided to use her method for board & batten…having MDF plywood cut into strips. When I got over to the lumber section, I discovered that the thinnest MDF was thicker than I was after. You see, I didn’t want the B&B to stick our further than my existing molding and baseboards. So, I went for some super cheap plywood that I believe was 5mm thick. I had BC take it to his crate shop and cut it into 3” strips for me (the same width as my existing molding) on the big daddy panel saw. The entire room took 2 pieces of plywood, or about $22….WAY better than $3-6 per piece of molding, right? It WAS a little bit prickly on the edges, so I sanded the edges of the pieces with an electric sander before I got started.
For purposes of this room, I decided to center a B&B strip under the window, lined up with an outlet. This is where your eye goes when you walk into the room and was therefore the wall I needed to have look the best.
Once I had the strip centered under the window, I decided on spacing for the rest of the strips. I went with 15”. BC says he would have gone for 12”, but I was the one doing all the work, so I won. (Yes, that means I did all the sanding, cutting, and nail gunning. Surprised? ) I cut a scrap piece of wood to 15” in length and used that to space the rest of my strips. The only time that didn’t work out was when I got to a corner.
I just measured 15” along the baseboard and then leveled out the first strip on the new wall.
I used 3 tubes of DAP’s vinyl spackle to caulk the edges and some more of the DryDex I used to patch the wall holes to get the B&B ready to paint. I applied 2-ish coats of paint to the strips using a Purdy brush (they’re the best).
And I’m kind of in love.
Here’s a shot of the corner where I ended after moving out in both directions from under the window.
Doing something about this:
and a headboard involving a pallet and an outdoor light fixture. Also getting Macy’s mattress off the floor in my room.
Don’t forget to pick up a FREE Subscription to Lowe’s Creative Ideas Magazine:
You can also find Lowe’s Creative Ideas on Facebook. (They’ve moved, so if you “liked” them before, you should “like” them again!)
And, now there’s a Lowe’s Creative Ideas blog. Go have a look around. You might recognize a face or two.
Disclosure: Lowe’s provided me with a gift card for supplies for my room makeover. They’re also providing me with a gift card to give away to one of you this month, so look forward to it!